FlashBack Fiction welcomes historical flash fiction, prose poetry and hybrid pieces up to 500 words.
What we are looking for
Feel free to send us anything from traditional storytelling to all manner of experiment and play, as long as the work engages with the historical in some way. We welcome unusual perspectives, magical realism, fabulism, alternate histories, and things that don’t seem to fit comfortably in any particular box. There is a maximum word count of 500 words (not including titles), but we welcome much shorter pieces as well. There is no minimum word count.
We are particularly interested in hearing from diverse voices including (but not limited to) writers from BAME, LGBTQIA+, or working-class backgrounds, and individuals with disabilities.
At present, we’re not setting an arbitrary cut-off for when ‘history’ begins, nor are we limiting the notion of ‘history’ to any particular place or perspective. Anything set in the 21st century, however, is likely to be a harder sell.
How to submit
- Please send up to three pieces as a .doc, .docx, .odt, .pdf or .rtf attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We appreciate sensible, 12-point fonts and double spacing.
- We read blind at first, so please do not include your name or any contact information in your document or file name.
- Please include a third-person biography of no more than 50 words.
- A cover letter is welcome, but by no means necessary.
- We welcome simultaneous submissions, though please let us know as soon as possible if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- We consider work up to 500 words. There is no minimum word count. We are happy to read microfiction, nanofiction, six-word stories, etc.
- Please send us one submission of up to three longer pieces or six shorter pieces at a time.
- We primarily seek unpublished work. We consider work that has appeared on blogs or personal/social media, and also welcome non-winning Ad Hoc Fiction entries. We give priority to unpublished pieces, but are happy to consider previously published work. In these cases, you must retain copyright and any period of exclusivity must have lapsed. If you are sending previously published work, we require full details of the previous publication.
- If we publish your piece, we ask for first world publication rights and the right to display your piece on our website as long as the journal exists. Copyright remains with the author at all times, and you are free to reprint at any time. If the work is subsequently published, we ask that you acknowledge FlashBack Fiction as the first publisher. We would appreciate six months exclusivity for pieces first published with us, but hey, if a great opportunity comes up, we’ll be cheering you on!
- Unfortunately, we are unable to pay authors at this time. However, we do our best to promote our authors on social media, and through nominations for awards such as Best Small Fictions, Best of the Net, and the Pushcart Prize.
- We are based in the UK but welcome submissions from anywhere in the world.
- We reserve the right to copy-edit for spelling, grammar and consistency, before publication. Any significant changes to content will be approved by the author prior to publication. Please note that UK English is our house style.
- We won’t publish anything we deem offensive, abusive or discriminatory, or anything we feel just isn’t right for FlashBack. Our decision is final. Sorry, we can’t give feedback on all stories we don’t accept.
- Feel free to query if you haven’t heard from us within two months. We read each piece with care; at least three of us read every piece submitted, and strong contenders are read and discussed by the entire team.