The 2018 FlashBack Fiction Microfiction Competition
This competition is now closed.
To commemorate the Centenary of the End of World War I on the 11th of November 2018, FlashBack Fiction is holding its first ever Microfiction Competition.
Theme: World War I
Cost: Entry is FREE for the first entry; £3 for any subsequent entries.
Deadline: 11:59 pm GMT on Saturday, 3rd of November 2018
Word limit: 100 words total, excluding title. Hyphenated words count as one word.
Submission limit: writers can submit one free entry and additional entries at £3 per entry. An entry consists of one flash, hybrid or prose poem of up to 100 words, excluding title.
£25 for First Place
£15 for Second Place
£10 for Third Place
We will feature all three prize-winning stories and selected runners-up at FlashBack Fiction in the week leading up to the 11th of November, with the winning piece revealed on the 11th of November.
Authors may submit one story for free. Additional stories may be submitted for a donation of £3. Any donations raised in this way will be put toward prize money in a future competition with a free entry option.
Simultaneous Submissions & Previous Publications:
Given the time frame, we can only consider unpublished stories that are not submitted elsewhere for the duration of the contest (i.e. until 11 November 2018).
The small print:
- To submit your story, please send your piece as a .doc, .docx, .odt, .pdf, or .rtf to email@example.com. Please do not include your name in the file, or in the file name.
- The first entry is free. Additional stories are welcome with a donation of £3 per piece. (If your PayPal name is different from your pen name, please make sure to note this in your e-mail.)
- Please include a 50-word, third-person bio that can be printed alongside your piece if it is published. (If you like, you can add an additional line with your website and social media contacts that does not count against the 50-word limit). Include this in the body of your email (and not in the document with your story).
- We would like to publish some of the runners up in the days leading up to the 11th of November. If you would NOT like your piece published if it doesn’t win a cash prize, please let us know in the cover letter. (This will not affect the judging in any way).
- Non-UK entrants will need to be able to accept prize money via PayPal.
- The competition will be judged by the editorial team at FlashBack Fiction.
- More about submissions and publication can be found our our Submissions page.